Tuesday 5 April 2011

A Bit About a Bratty Dog

I have a bratty dog. I know I’m not alone but it sure feels that way sometimes. She’s a Rottweiler/Boxer cross. A Boxweiler (check out this link if you're curious about Boxweilers, About the Boxweiler). She’s a super happy girl, and at the same time she’s super stubborn. She’s deceptively powerful and a big goofball. I’ve had more sprains, strains, bruises, and scratches than I’d like to count. For the most part, life with her is great but there are times that I’m so frustrated that I feel like I'm losing my mind. She doesn’t have any worries though. She’ll be ours until the end of her days. I don't think that would be the case if she had been adopted by someone else.

We adopted her from the SPCA when she was 6 months old. We named her Chili. Apparently, she was a stray. I’d been searching for a dog for a while since we lost our last girl, Ruby, to cancer when she was 13. Ruby was a Rottweiler/Newfoundland cross. When I saw Chili, I knew she was the one. Little did we know the challenges that were to come.

I blame myself for the escalation of the brattiness. I didn’t have a clue about what to do with a girl like her. Ruby had come into my life pretrained and she had been easy from the beginning so I couldn't even draw from that. I babied Chili and let her have the run of the house. I mean really, we rescued her and gave her a great home, and lots of food and toys, so why shouldn't she be appreciative and just love us. I was so afraid of hurting her and being a bad dog-mom that I couldn't discipline her correctly. And boy, was she a wild child. Your typical bad-ass, dominant, bossy girl. I couldn’t even walk her in the beginning. She would pull so hard she was like a marlin on the end of a line. And after a walk, you'd actually feel like you just fought one. In the house she would walk around with her mouth open looking for anything to chew on. She wouldn’t stop. Every second word out of my mouth was 'NO'. I think I spent most of my time sitting in the corner, rocking and pulling my hair asking, WHY?! She also started staring down other dogs on leash and lunging. Basically acting like an ass. I was not ready for this and had no idea how to fix it. At the same time, she could play with a pack of dogs all day without any problems. One great thing about her is that she really loves people. When anybody comes near her, she gets so excited and wiggly. She’s almost 3 now and although she has some of the same issues, she is starting to mature. Sometimes she gets this look in her eyes though. You can see the crazy brewing. All you can do is put on your life jacket and ride it out. Yes, I do try to calm her down and it does work now and again but other times....not so much.

I wish there was a support group for people with crazy but lovable dogs. A place where we would listen and pat each other on the back, no, scratch that. A place where we would drink and compare strategies. One thing I have learned is that a lot of dogs like her are mistakenly labelled as aggressive, when they're actually dominant, and because they’re not ‘easy’ their owners give up on them and either give them back or have them put down. Not fair really. I can’t imagine giving up on her. She makes me laugh when I don’t want to laugh, and she makes me get out when I want to be lazy, and every time she challenges me she makes me stronger. I have realized that I’m lucky to have a girl like her.

In writing this weekly blog I want to share both the good and the bad about life with a bratty dog. It’s not always pretty but it’s worth it. If any of these stories sound familiar I hope you’ll add your version. Who knows, this could turn into the support group. Just grab your drink and share your story, preferably before the bottle is gone.

3 comments:

  1. Way to go, great job on the blog! You are an excellent dog mom and Chili is a beautiful girl. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met my bratty neice, Chili, last summer. I had heard so much about her! It was so much fun seeing how excited she was to go to daycare with all the other dogs and how excited she was to see us when we came to pick her up. One bratty moment was when we picked her up, she jumped in the back of the SUV and her grandparents were sitting in the backseat. Ms. Bratty herself felt she should be in the backseat also and then attempted to plow her way into the front seat! Had so much fun watching her bask in the sun in her swimming pool, the diva she is. For such a bratty girl, she can also be a good listener and covers you with kisses. She also won't plow you over to get out the door! She sits and waits for you to go first. Such a good girl. Wish I could be around to enjoy more bratty moments :) Love Auntie G xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Andrea, again, you are an amazing communicator. The beautiful thing about this all is your ability to see the lessons that she brings into our life. They come with bruises and bumps but they also come with snuggles and unconditional love. When our dogs leave our lives I can guarantee you that its the 'bratty" stuff that we laugh and cry about. We find ourselves wishing that we were still being asked to be in the moment and always on our toes.You are blessed to have one another.Thank you for sharing, I wish for this blog to go global for everyone like you two.

    ReplyDelete

I encourage you to leave comments. I'll reply to all questions within a week, and errors in posts will be acknowledged in the comment area. Feel free to disagree with my points if there is need for disagreement, but keep in mind that all off-topic comments, disparaging comments, or comments with more than one link will be deleted.