Saturday 21 May 2011

DNA Testing & Training Me

When we adopted Chili, all we knew about her breed was that she was a Rottweiler cross. We wanted to know what the cross was, so we decided to get her DNA tested. I didn’t even know this could be done unless you were in a CSI type of situation. A friend told me about it. At the time, it was $75. I think it’s even less now. Many people are sceptical about this process. You don’t need to be. First, the process is simple. You just swab the inside of the dog’s cheek. I guess this isn’t so simple depending on the dog. Luckily for us, Chili just laid there like she usually does when she’s poked at. Then you send the swabs off for testing. You don’t have to tell them anything. You have the option to send your dogs picture if you want it on the certificate but we didn’t. When we got the results back it showed that she was ¾ Rottweiler and ¼ Boxer. Based on her looks and behaviour, I’d say it’s dead on. It was good to know. Now we could read up on both the Rottweiler and Boxer to find out everything we needed to know about her. Almost everything. A guide at least.

Back to my story. Now that I’d decided to work with Carol I was finished with the trainers. They weren’t really giving us what we needed so it was time to drop out of the classes and at least get my money back for the ones we wouldn’t be attending. Yeah, right. I called Mary and let her know how I felt and that they could put the dollars for the unused classes back on my credit card. No go. In their mind, since I’d taken up a spot that could’ve been used by someone else, I would not be getting a refund. She did say I could put the money towards another class. If they weren’t helping me so far, what would make me think that another class would do the trick? OK, yes, I did take up a spot in the class but what about customer satisfaction? What they’re saying is, “Too bad you didn’t like us, and we’re keeping your money.” Of course they didn’t actually say those words but that was the gist of it. It was over. We were done with them and they were keeping our money.

Training is more than words and actions. It’s also about how the words are spoken, the way the action is taken, and the intention behind it. I am a fairly reserved, controlled and level person, but I need to get Chili's attention. Being animated and exaggerated is way outside of my realm. During our first training session Carol is on me about how I’m expressing the commands and holding my body. This is completely different from the other training classes. She can see that there's not much of a connection between me and Chili. She likes me but she doesn't look to me for guidance, or anything, other than to get something she wants. What's holding me back? I’m very gentle because I don’t want to hurt her. I refuse to even drop the leash for a second because I’m afraid she might run away. I’m having a hard time being animated because it feels entirely unnatural and I feel like I look and sound ridiculous. How does all of this sum up? Chili thinks I’m a pushover who doesn’t trust her so she doesn’t trust me and to top it off I’m completely boring to her. Why should she bother even paying attention? This is not a proud moment. It’s obvious that I’m a huge part of the problem. Carol is confident and not afraid of taking charge of Chili. This explains why she has Chili’s complete attention. You might think that all I have to do is mimic her. That’s easier said than done.

I've got a lot of work ahead of me and Chili is going to fight me the whole way. She seems to like being the boss and the fact that she's so cute isn't helping me. However, she's about to learn just how determined I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to leave comments. I'll reply to all questions within a week, and errors in posts will be acknowledged in the comment area. Feel free to disagree with my points if there is need for disagreement, but keep in mind that all off-topic comments, disparaging comments, or comments with more than one link will be deleted.