Monday 27 February 2012

Fueling the Chill

Food. Something that should be so easy....but isn’t. It’s controversial and at times uncomfortable to even talk about. Yes, I know what it’s like to be given the blank horrified stare because I feed my dog kibble and not raw. I want Chili to get the best, but the best must also be what I can afford. I mean really, we have to eat and live too. There should be no shame in knowing when to say I’ve spent enough. Everyone has their limits. What if someone is feeding their dog a lower quality food but that’s the highest quality they can afford? What if that dog is given the absolute best life in all other ways? Does that make them bad?

To our standards, Chili eats well, probably better than we do. I do a lot reading and ask a lot of questions before coming to a conclusion about what I buy her. Also, Your Pet Pals where I now buy her food only carries well-made, high quality brands. They don’t sell a brand just because it’s popular, they sell what they feel good about selling. It’s like another line of defense in weeding out the bad.

Until this point, I only had to worry about getting Chili a great food that she liked. Now, Chili has mild pancreatitis and it’s imperative to find a diet that will meet her new needs. This is where it gets really difficult. I have never stressed about food more in my life than I am stressing right now. It’s overwhelming. I like to make decisions that I feel good about but I’m finding it difficult to put it all together. The more I read, the more lost I feel. Low fat, low carbs, high protein, raw, dehydrated, and it goes on. Oh yeah, and she has to want to eat it. Add to it that Chili is a high energy dog and needs her fuel. I can’t have her starving. She’s at a perfect weight and doesn’t have any fat to spare.

I don’t think for a moment that I’m the only one who thinks this sucks. Chili is not impressed at all. She’s not impressed when she doesn’t get her chips, she’s not impressed when she doesn’t get her spaghetti, and she’s even more unimpressed when she can’t have her absolute all time favourite Kraft dinner. You’d think we just tortured the beast. To be honest, we miss sharing with her too.

I find myself just staring at her sometimes. Willing her to tell me what to do, watching for signs that I’ve made the right choice, or the wrong choice. If it’s wrong, I hope I catch it quick enough before it causes her any pain. I don’t like this at all, watching and waiting. So, when I switched her food and started noticing that she was chewing on her paws and rubbing her ears and eyes I knew I made the wrong choice. Now we are trying yet another brand of food and the watching and waiting starts over. The girls tell me this particular food has performed well for other dogs with mild pancreatitis so I’m hopeful. I won’t know if I don’t try.

No matter how much you think you already know, every dog is different and what they respond to is different. Like with training, you take the experience of others, mix it with some of your own, add some new information and hope you’ve made the right choice. Chili doesn’t expect anything more. I have to try. She’s not going to improve if I’m not willing to make changes and trust myself. A part of that is accepting that I might make the wrong decision sometimes but at least I made it with good intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to leave comments. I'll reply to all questions within a week, and errors in posts will be acknowledged in the comment area. Feel free to disagree with my points if there is need for disagreement, but keep in mind that all off-topic comments, disparaging comments, or comments with more than one link will be deleted.