Saturday 3 December 2011

The Magical Halti

Magic comes in many forms. One dictionary describes it as the use of means (as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces. Well, a cookie seems to have supernatural powers over Chili, who you could describe as a natural force. The other tool that I’ve found to be quite magical over a certain natural force is the Halti.

From what I understand, the Halti is meant to keep your dog from pulling on leash. Chili actually walks pretty well, so what am I doing with a Halti? From the time I started training with Chili I’ve been constantly trying to find a way to get her lunging in hand. It’s been a non-stop quest for me. She’s such a great dog except for the lunging. I’d used many different tools and techniques but hadn’t found the right one yet. So, one day Michele (owner of Connective Training) and I were going out for a walk. I was telling her that I wanted to stay on the trails that were wide because they gave me some room to work with Chili when she started lunging. We decided to walk at Beaver Lake.

When she arrived she had left her dogs at home and came armed with some tools. She had a gentle lead, a Halti, and a leash that was only about a foot and a half long. I knew these were meant for Chili but didn’t know what made her come up with these items. They are meant for dogs that pull, and Chili didn’t pull. She told me that after we spoke these items just popped in her head and she just had to give them a try. OK. Who am I to argue with that logic.

Both of these tools are strapped around the dogs snout and head, not the neck. Because of this, they take the dogs power away since you’re essentially leading them by the nose. The difference is night and day. You must use a short leash to avoid causing harm to the dogs neck and spine. You don’t want their head snapping back at the end of a long leash. You must also avoid doing leash corrections as well for the same reason. Unfortunately, most people who use these tools don’t know this. Fortunately for us, we have Michele.

Chili was not impressed with this new development, but I was. Now, the answer to the question of what am I doing with a Halti. The revelation is, just because something is supposed to be used for one reason, doesn’t mean it can’t be used for another. Of the two pieces that Michele brought, my choice was the Halti. I like how it was loose around her mouth unless she pulled, then it pulled her mouth shut, which gave her something else to focus on. I also like that it connects to her collar so if for some reason it does slip off, she’s not loose, I still have her. Now, in the past when Chili would see another oncoming dog, she would stare it down, then lunge. The Halti gives me the control over her head and nose area which allows me to gently pull her head up and break the stare. Breaking her stare prevents her from building herself up to the point where she wants to lunge.

It took me about a month of using the Halti and practicing moving her head towards me and relaxing before things started working. I was teaching Chili, and me, a new routine. Now, instead of lunging 95% of the time, we have 95% success. The times that she does lunge, since she isn’t being held by her neck, the whole incident loses its power, and so does she. Basically, it’s less dramatic and over very quickly. We’re not perfect yet, but have we ever made leaps in the right direction.

So what’s changing? I’m more relaxed, which makes Chili more relaxed. Since I’m not just focusing on making sure that I’m in the right position to hold her back if she lunges, I’m able to relax, and watch her for the signs that tell me I need to step it up. Chili is learning to walk closer to me when she sees another dog and she is starting to look to me on her own rather than me always averting her stare. We’re working towards the day where we won’t need tools any longer, where when another dog comes our way, she just checks them out and continues moving forward.

Now that would be magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to leave comments. I'll reply to all questions within a week, and errors in posts will be acknowledged in the comment area. Feel free to disagree with my points if there is need for disagreement, but keep in mind that all off-topic comments, disparaging comments, or comments with more than one link will be deleted.