Saturday 28 January 2012

Chili's Magic Wand

Chili was born a magician with her own magic wand. She didn’t have to go to school to learn how to use it, she just knew. She knew she had the power. She has all the moves that mystify, enchant, make you smile and laugh until it hurts. When she has you in her sights, she has the focus and patience that captivates. You are under her spell, and she knows it.

I have spoken in past posts about people being nasty to us, calling her vicious, gathering their dogs and kids as we walk by, or simply avoiding us by crossing the street. This is one end of the Chili spectrum, where people give her a quick look, and a quick judge. The other end holds all those people that tried to ignore her, but couldn’t. Those who found themselves laughing and smiling and giving her all the attention she demands. These are the ones who have fallen under the Chili spell.

I shouldn’t be surprised by it, that’s how we ended up adopting her. She used her magic wand on us. As I was walking along the rows of cages at the SPCA, I could hear a light thumping. As I kept walking, it got louder and louder until I was standing in front of her cage. She started to cast her spell. I walked away but could still hear the light beating, beckoning me to return. I couldn’t ignore it. As before, it got louder and stronger as I approached. That was it, she had me.

I now get to sit back and watch her cast her spell on others. My favourite place is at the vets office. Most people there could use a smile. I take a seat and have Chili sit in front of me. Chili then singles out her target. She begins by staring and lightly thumping her tail. Usually the target will give her a quick look. That’s all Chili needs. She then sits a little taller and thumps her tail a little harder. The target will look again and smile. Then Chili sits as straight as she can, thumping her tail as hard as she can while intently staring. The target can’t help but look, but this time they can’t look away. They start smiling and Chili starts vibrating with excitement. Then the target always comes over to say hello and Chili is rewarded with the attention she wanted, and the target gets a lot of wiggles, licks and love in return all the while being beaten by Chili’s tail. The magic wand in action. She’s just added some happiness to someones day.

I’m proud of my girl and how she uses her powers for good, mostly. She seems to have a special place in her heart for elderly people, especially men. She pays special attention to them when they walk by and most times, she uses her powers to draw them right to her. She knows not to jump and snuggles up to them, licking and licking, and thumping her tail. Showering them with Chili love. There’s usually lots of laughter and talk about how wonderful she is and once again, Chili has left someone smiling. She’s really good at picking out the elderly men with cookies too. She hasn’t been denied yet.

She has a lot of followers who have gotten used to seeing us and immediately come over to say hello. Not to me, I’m just the tagalong. Chili and her magical powers at work. Spreading mostly good around the world but even when she’s being bad, she still makes people smile.

I can’t imagine Chili without her wand. She’s lucky that she still has it and it wasn’t taken away from her. She is a Boxer/Rottweiler cross and we all know that most of them have their wands/tails taken away from them when they’re young. I guess those that take them away don’t realize just how special they are. I believe the true standard is nurturing the magic they were born with. That should be the standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to leave comments. I'll reply to all questions within a week, and errors in posts will be acknowledged in the comment area. Feel free to disagree with my points if there is need for disagreement, but keep in mind that all off-topic comments, disparaging comments, or comments with more than one link will be deleted.