Saturday 14 January 2012

Mild Pancreatitis: Really?

About a month ago, Chili had her blood taken before she had some dental work done. A couple of days later I come home to a message from the vet asking if I could call her to discuss the results. “Aw hell”, was the first thought that came to my mind. I was right. Her blood tests showed that she had mild pancreatitis. The vet explained that I should change her food as soon as possible to a low fat gastro. She recommended MediCal Moderate Calorie Gastro. You know, the stuff that all the vets sell. I was skeptical. I’ve never really thought much of the vet brand foods. No, I’m not a nutritionist nor a professional, but I do know that I should question things. What I do know is, if it doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t. It didn’t feel right. It was time to do some research.

What I found out, I didn’t like. Pancreatitis comes in two forms, acute or chronic and it can be mild or life-threatening. Great. The vet just said Chili had mild pancreatitis, she didn’t mention anything about acute or chronic. To get it in hand, it seems that the best thing to do is first give the pancreas a rest and fast the dog for at least 48 hours. Chili was not impressed by this. A change in diet is also required. I was not impressed by this. It took me forever to find a brand of dog food that was high quality and Chili liked, and can you believe I just spent $80 on a bag of food not 2 weeks earlier. Figures. The new food should be high quality, low fat (about 10%), low carb, and grain free. Many sites recommend feeding raw. AND the final nail; we had to stop sharing our food with her. None of us were impressed by this. We all enjoyed the ritual of sharing.

Honestly, I don’t really want to believe. I don’t want her to be sick. After throwing my own little tantrum, I face the facts. Not that it was going to go any other way, but I just had to protest a little bit. I gather my food notes, take one long look at that almost full bag of food, shake my head and go directly to the pet store. For something like this, I have to go to a place where I trust, Your Pet Pals. From experience I know they are very knowledgeable and they only sell food that they have thoroughly researched and trust. When I tell them about Chili, everything they said about the food requirements was almost exactly the same as what I had researched. Right away I rule out raw. I’ve never fed her raw before and I really wanted to stay as simple as possible. I wanted to get her on the right diet, then get her blood rechecked in a couple of months, then take it from there.

The girl starts checking out the different foods. All the bags that she looked at said senior and weight management. What? Then she finally settled on one brand; Amicus, Small and Mini Breed Dog Food, Senior and Weight Management. Everything about this was anti-Chili. She’s not small (80lbs), she’s not mini (she’s a truck), she’s not a senior (she’s only 3 ½) and she’s not overweight (she’s very athletic and solid). It didn’t matter. The food met the criteria.

So, there it sits. This little bag of food (it doesn’t come in the large bags because it’s meant for small dogs), next to the large and full bag of Fromm (that still chokes me). Chili seems to be happy enough with it so that’s something at least. I don’t really know if it’s doing anything though since Chili didn’t really have any signs that I could gage it by. Or did she? Every now and again she would throw up, seemingly out of nowhere; or have diarrhea, out of nowhere; when she drinks, she really tanks up; she was very fussy about her food; just around the time when we had her blood taken, she had stopped eating, starting throwing up, and had diarrhea. I don’t know if all of that is relevant, but I do know that some of it is.

Now, we wait. Wait to see if this food change makes a difference and wait to see the next step. I really hope this works or at least is taking us in the right direction. I’m uncomfortable being at the mercy of the vet and their recommendations. I know I can do internet research, but that doesn’t make me a vet. Add to that, I just want my girl to be healthy. She deserves to be healthy. I don’t like the pressure of making these health decisions, what if I make the wrong choice. Obviously this won’t be my last post on this topic. I’ll let you know how it goes when it comes time to get her blood taken again.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I'm interested to see how it turned out & what food you switched to. Our dog was just diagnosed w/ pancreatitis & we didn't get much direction from the vet. She got a week of bland food & antibiotics. She appears to be better (no throwing up & now eating her food again), but still a bit more lethargic than normal. I'm wondering if switching her food might help her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This took a long time to figure out. I can't even count the number of brands of dog food we tried. The biggest thing I had to do was learn to trust my gut. It was a matter of buying a brand of food, watching her and going from there. Many of them she just rejected I think because she didn't like the taste. Two things remained consistent. The protein % stayed in the low 20's and the fat % stayed at about 10%. This seemed to be key. We also limit her treats and are very careful with what she gets. Right now she's been on Holistic Blend Lamb and Rice for a few months and it seems to be working out. She seems to do best with the lamb. She's only had one 'pancreatitis attack' (if you call it that) since. It was because she stole another dog's food at daycare. She was really sick and wouldn't eat for 2 days after that. Like I said, I'm not a professional, just a person who loves her dog, and this is what seemed to work for us. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

I encourage you to leave comments. I'll reply to all questions within a week, and errors in posts will be acknowledged in the comment area. Feel free to disagree with my points if there is need for disagreement, but keep in mind that all off-topic comments, disparaging comments, or comments with more than one link will be deleted.